New Year, new hair! Experts pick their top three blow dryers to start 2020 off on the right follicle!
Hairstylists beg their clients to BE KIND TO THEIR HAIR by using a gentle hair dryer with modern technology that can improve hair health!
Your hair is most vulnerable to damage when it’s wet, which means: a quality hair dryer is the most important hair tool to have in your bathroom drawer. You’re either compounding damage, or increasing strength with each use… and most women use their blow dryer EVERY DAY. We’ll let you do the math.
Luckily, not all hair dryers are the moisture-robbing, frizz-making, heat machines they were twenty years ago. Technology has come a long way and has made it possible to dry your hair guilt-free. In fact, properly blow drying your hair with a quality hair dryer actually does less damage than air drying!
There’s a LOT of information out there about how to keep your hair healthy, but when we’re talking blow dryers, hairstylists recommend these FOUR FEATURES to get your hair dry in half the time, smooth frizz, promote fuller thicker hair, and infuse shine and hydration back into dull parched strands.
1) Red Light Therapy: Infrared light in a blow dryer is a game changer. The light encourages blood flow to the follicles in the scalp and can promote fuller thicker hair from a cellular level. NASA actually requires astronauts to use a form of red light therapy while in space to promote cell regeneration, heal wounds and prevent muscle atrophy. In your hair’s case, it can strengthen and renew the cells on your scalp to prevent hair thinning. A healthy scalp means healthy hair.
2) Tourmaline: When it comes to smoothing frizz, tourmaline works like a gem (pun intended)! This semi-precious gemstone naturally emits negative ions (up to six times as many as ceramic), creating real ‘ionic technology’, which so many blow dryers claim to have these days. These negative ions neutralize the positive ions in our hair resulting in frizz-free, shiny locks. Plus, the ions break down water molecules to cut drying time in half!
3) AC Motor: Cheap drugstore dryers use a DC motor, which is much less powerful than an AC motor and will take a lot longer to dry your hair. Just like a better engine in a car means ‘quicker acceleration’, ‘quality performance’ and ‘more power’; a better motor in a blow dryer means quicker drying, salon-quality performance and, well, more power! With more power in your hair dryer, you can get water out of your hair quicker and with less heat. Plus, an AC motor is quieter and has double the life of a DC motor.
4) Multiple Heat Settings and a Cool Shot Button: Different types of hair call for different levels of heat. If you have fine hair, you don’t need to use the highest heat setting to achieve great results, so blow dryers with only one heat setting force you to do unnecessary damage. A cool shot button is an extra bonus that sets your hair for long-lasting style, and seals the cuticle for more natural shine!
If you want healthy hair with less frizz and more shine, you need a salon-grade blow dryer, there’s no way around it. Your hairstylist isn’t using a magic potion to make your hair look perfect, it’s a quality hair dryer.
We tested hundreds of blow dryers that ranged in function and price, and our TOP PICK can be found for less than $150—and includes all four of the recommended features listed above. Keep scrolling to see our top choice.
SRI Salon Dry Pro
Developed with safe and effective Negative Ion Technology, its Ceramic-Tourmaline Air Composition and Cool Shot Setting will give you shine and can help improve hair health.
Our number # 1 Top Pick: SRI Salon Dry Pro
The SRI Salon Dry Pro blow dryer achieves the perfect balance of affordability and professional-quality. Both expert stylists and amateurs loved how the red light therapy, in combination with the ionic technology, dried wet hair quickly and left hair frizz-free, looking shiny.
The advanced infrared heating and ceramic air outlet also kept this blow dryer’s air flow super gentle and more consistent – it practically styles your hair for you while you dry it.
The SRI Salon Dry Pro did the job of a $300 device for a third of the price. And the best part– they almost always have an awesome ‘First Time Customer Special’ ranging between 30-35% off, but right now, there’s an even better Holiday Sale that’s 40% off! So for the next few days, it’s only $119 (I wish I would have bought mine at this price!)
We definitely recommend it.
- Wide range of temperature settings achieved stunning styles for numerous hair types
- Cool shot setting sealed the cuticle for a glossy smooth finish
- Ceramic-tourmaline air outlet evenly distributed heat leaving hair healthier than ever before
- 9ft cord made it easy-to-maneuver and the convenient hook was great for storage in small quarters
- Has three attachments that made styling for specific textures easier than any other product we tried
- Only available online
- Frequently on backorder
Our #2 Pick: Dyson Supersonic
The Supersonic Dyson Hair Dryer has a super-quiet motor that’s located in the handle instead of the head, giving it a more lightweight feel, and its patented Air Multiplier technology. It also measures the air temperature 20 times every second.
If you’ve never heard of the Dyson Supersonic, you must be blow-drying your hair under a rock. It’s basically the Beats Headphones, Voss Water, and Louis Vuitton of the blow-dryer industry. Very cool to look at, hold in your hand, and show your status in the bathroom. But how does that status translate out the streets for your red carpet Friday night?
The Dyson Supersonic hair dryer is hands down one of the BEST there is on the market. The problem is it’s also hands down one of the MOST expensive on the market too. Sometimes splurging for brand names and cool aesthetics… is cool. Especially when you consider the intelligent heat technology from the head of the dryer and the powerful digital motor in its colorful handle.
However, it does carry a ‘novelty’ feel to it that makes you question whether it’s worth the price tag. Without infrared technology, it doesn’t appear noticeably faster at drying hair. Also, its air intake is in the handle, which forces you to hold it higher up and strain your arms.
- Sleeve, aerodynamic design comes in lots of stylish, fun colors
- Engineered to protect your hair against heat damage for smooth, shiny styling
- Intelligent heat technology available at most luxury stores like Nordstroms, Sephora, Ulta
- PRICEY. On average, this product is at least $100-$150 MORE expensive than its competition
- Air intake through the handle means tired arms and fatigue when you’re trying to get that perfect finish
- No infrared technology means speed may not be noticeably quicker than its competition
Our #3 Pick: Harry Josh Pro Tools
The motor is designed for faster operation so that hair is dried faster with lower noise levels from the dryer and made in France
Another extremely lightweight design that comes in a very pretty and unique mint green color. We noticed a lot of customer reviews praised it’s speed and efficiency that saved them time, but many were unable to figure out the heat settings.
The Harry Josh Pro Dry is one of the more expensive products since it comes from a professional brand used by supermodels and actors. The high price point was off putting, especially when you will receive very similar results with products like the SRI Dry Pro at half the price.
It was also hard to discern which was a real Harry Josh product as there are many duplicates and imitation products flooding the market.
- Lightweight design comes in a very popular mint green color
- Multiple speed and heat settings for wide range of hair types and styles
- Customer reviews praised it’s speed and efficiency that saved them time
- The motor seemed to stop running after a mere three months of use
- The high price point, especially when other sites were selling very similar products for half the price
- It was hard to discern which was a real Harry Josh product there are many duplicates and imitation products flooding the market.