Take Control of Your Hair in 2018: The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide to Hair Straighteners
Say Hello to Chic, Elegant Hair
…And Say “See Ya” To Yesterday’s Unmanageable Mess
The time is now for you to exude power, to embody the sophistication of a well-bred aristocrat and to rock pin-straight forget-me-not locks. Straight, sleek tresses have always been one of the most coveted hairdos due to the quiet elegance this look radiates, shimmering with the kind of intrinsic style that can’t be learned, only known.
The perpetually changing trends of the cosmetic industry always seem to jump from hair fad to hair fad, while this iconic staple lurks behind the scenes as the timeless go-to look for fashion models, style experts and beauty bloggers. As the industry transitions into the modern era, so too do the tools these professionals use, thus blossoming into a field of high-quality straighteners available to regular people, not just the professionals. However, with the advancement of technology comes a confusing hoard of misinformation and it’s imperative to educate yourself before pulling the trigger on purchasing a new flat iron.
What Type of Hair Straightener Is Right For You
There are many factors that need to be considered before purchasing a new hair straightener so we’ve jam-packed this guide with the must-know information that could make or literally break your hair.
When it comes to hair straighteners plate composition has proven to be one of the key elements with ceramic and titanium plates outshining chrome and other metals in every category. With ceramic and titanium plates, you can rest assured that heat is transferred evenly and safely, eliminating any follicle damage derived from high-temperature styling. It’s the chrome and basic metal plates causing all the horror stories you hear about of people scorching their hair off and resembling a crispy goblin.
The second essential aspect that separates the pros from possible hair woes is the range of temperature. The typical desired range falls between 200-400 and you can adjust depending on your hair’s texture. 200-300 generally works for those with fine, delicate or damaged hair while 300-400 is ideal for those with thicker follicles. It is important to stay below 450 especially if you are planning to use the tool often. A digital display also makes it easier to ensure you have achieved the desired temperature and some even feature a beeper to alert the user when it’s hot enough.
How can I shop for the best hair straightener?
Many beauty stores such as Ulta, Sephora, and Total Beauty Supply carry the high-quality flat irons you want to purchase and you can always check online to see which brands each store carries. Numerous hair salons and blowout hair salons offer a variety of hair tools. We’ve browsed through Amazon to determine which models are rated the highest and listed the pros and cons for each. Here’s what we found:
SRI Straight Pro
1.25inch Solid Ceramic Plates Professional Hair Straightener
Our ultimate favorite!
Our research showed that the SRI Straight Pro became an all-time favorite for both customers and professionals from Day 1. Thanks to its Solid Ceramic Plates and Advanced Ion Technology, you can effortlessly straighten your hair in one pass only—even curly hair passes without snagging, pulling, or tugging! While it heats up quickly, you get to choose the best temperature for your hair, so you’ll have the perfectly flawless and glossy salon finish you deserve without worries for hair damage.
We also found that its quality/price ratio is the best of the market today, but you can get an even better price when you sign up for their First Time Customer Special. And the company is so confident in their flat iron that they give 2 guarantees: 60-day money-back and 10 years warranty on parts!
We tried the SRI Straight Pro. We found it easy to use and we loved the results—no electrostatics or fly-aways on fine hair are pretty awesome…
We definitely recommend it.
- Solid Ceramic Plates that glide through your hair without pulling or tugging
- Advanced Ion Technology to neutralize electrostatics and leave your hair smooth and shiny
- Heats up to your chosen temperature in just a few seconds
- Temperature settings to prevent heat damage
- Easy grip to allow faster & safer styling
- Large plates and round edges so you can straighten or curl your hair
- Works on every type of hair, every day
- 60-Day Money-Back Guarantee: you have 60 days to try it or you can return and get your money back
- 10-Year Warranty on parts and pieces – longest warranty on the market!
- First-time customer special and great customer service
- Only available online
- Could use a travelling bag for convenience
GHD Gold Professional 1-inch Styler
Advanced ceramic heat technology
We like that this flat iron heats up quickly and gives a smooth and sleek result. Its temperature makes it a little more difficult to straighten tight curls, however, it prevents any heat damage. Users love this gentle heat coverage. It is light and a little thinner, which makes it easy to handle. Regardless of its price tag, this Flat Iron earned its place in our Top 5!
- New dual-zone technology for smoother, sleeker & healthier looking hair
- Optimum styling temperature of 365°F
- Smooth, contoured floating plates glide through your hair for quick, frizz-free styling
- Broad rounded barrel for versatile, snag-free styling on longer hair
- Automatic sleep mode switches off if not used for 30 minutes
- 2 years manufacturers guarantee
- Only heats up to heats up to 365°F so better for fine to normal hair – coarse or curly hair need up to 400°F
- No temperature settings
Babyliss Pro-Nano Titanium-Plated Straightening Iron
1-1/4inch Titanium-Plated Straightening Iron (Extended Plate)
This Flat Iron heats really fast and works great on thicker, coarser hair. We like its easy-to-read LED temperature settings and the fact that it doesn’t get hot in your hands, no matter how hot it gets. It also a little pricey, but its customers are satisfied. We feel its worth the try.
- Ultra-smooth titanium plates conduct ultra-high heat and resist corrosion
- Ceramic heater instant heat & recovery
- LED temperature settings – up to 450°F
- Digital ionic technology emits natural ions
- Ryton® housing resists ultra-high heat
- Not sold directly by Babyliss – price and guarantee depends on the reseller
Rusk Engineering CTC Technology Professional Str8 Iron
1inch titanium-infused ceramic plates with Sol-Gel technology
We really like the memory function of this Flat-Iron. Once you set up your temperature, it’ll remember it automatically every time—be careful if you share it though. Its ceramic plates work on every kind of hair—thick, curly, damaged, dry, or straight. It cools down quickly and doesn’t feel bulky.
- Ceramic heater and titanium-infused ceramic plates with Sol-Gel technology
- Eliminate frizz, curls, cowlicks or kinks
- Memory function to easily reach the desired temperature
- Ryton® housing resists ultra-high heat
- Complicated to find online
- No information about a guarantee
Remington Wet 2 Straight Ceramic Straightener
110mm floating plates
This Flat-Iron was designed to be used on wet hair without frying it! The results you get are amazing, and much faster than any other hair straightener we’ve ever tried. So why isn’t it our first choice? Because it is a bit pricey and ships from England, which makes it more complicated for us Americans to use the guarantees if we need them. But its features were too good not to at least mention it.
- Advanced Ceramic plates infused with frizz resist micro conditioners for wet and dry use
- Digital temperature display (140°C – 230°C)
- Ready in 15 seconds – beeps when ready
- Auto shut off after 60 minutes
- Heat resistant pouch
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee, so you can change your mind
- Up to 5 years warranty on parts
- Shipping cost will be charged if you return the item
- Ships from United Kingdom (even on Amazon)
While the above list barely scrapes the surface of the numerous flat iron products available, hopefully it gives you a starting place in the process of buying your new glamorous tool.
You are moments away from acquiring the high-quality hair straightener that will not only generate the ageless glamour you see dazzling the pages in magazines, but you will also be taking a new step towards making sure you have a healthy head of hair for a good long time.